Hello Everyone! How’s your Monday? I was planning of doing errands today before I leave town for work but for the past few days I have been sick and I took medicine last night for it after few minutes my lips started swelling, at least I know now how my lips going to look like if I get it done LOL I looked so terrible last night, can’t even recognize myself. Haha and started panicking bc when I woke up this morning it was still swollen so I had to take Benadryl and I had to go back to bed. When I woke up I decided to go to the gym even though I wasn’t feeling well, I had to push myself bc I haven ‘t work out for 2 days and I hate the feeling of going back to my exercise routine and feeling weak! Anyway, before I leave town for 2 days I’m going to publish one blog post, a lot of people asked me this question often so why not make a blog post about it so without any further ado, here’s my answers to How To Start Your Own Blog.
Like what I’ve said before I started blogging when I was in College, I did not really took this seriously bc I was only doing it whenever I get bored and really got nothing to do, I was using the free website of wordpress and when I met Keith he encouraged me to get my own domain and recently I decided to do this blogging thing full time and when people ask me what’s my job, I told them I’m a blogger and I get this weird look always and I’ll say, “I know right”? LOL
| SHOP THE LOOK HERE
- You have to pick a blogging platform. I am using wordpress right now and I do highly recommend this since it’s so easy to redesign it. I actually did not hire anyone to design my blog, I bought this theme on etsy.com. You have to research, so many good information online.
- After you sign up on wordpress or whatever blogging platform you chose, you have to buy your own domain, it has to be really catchy, personal or use your name since you have to brand yourself out there.
- Pick a hosting a site, I am using blueshost. If you sign up with them during your first year they have this promotion going on, as far as I can remember I only paid $30 for my first year with them.
Where do I start? What do I write?
After you set up everything you have to write your very first blog post. Introduce yourself, tell them who you are, your story and why you start your own blog. If you love Fashion then write something about it, something that you know, something you want to share with everyone not something you pretend to know. Be YOU!
How I drive traffic to my own website? Where to get my loyal readers?
Honestly, when I started this blog probably the only person who read this was my family or friends, from 5 views a day became to 10 views, 20, 50, 100, 200 and so on and so forth. I actually had to force someone to read what I wrote so I can get views on my stats! LOL Little did I know for you to be able catch the attention of your readers you have to have interesting topic, something that they can relate to, post 3x a week or if you can, make it everyday and also use Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest & Facebook to get more visitors on your website and last but not the least, engagement, you have to comment on others people blog, when you do this they’ll return the favor same thing what I do on my Instagram account.
When is the right time to make this full time career?
Honestly, I don’t know. Like what I’ve said earlier I didn’t know some people out there do this for a living, before I didn’t know that you can make money through blogging until I first got my BIG collaboration with this certain company. In my case I decided to do this full time when I started getting more collaboration and invites to events. When I was working full time for someone I was always rushing to create content since I had to be at work 5x a week and I used my 2 days off to do my photoshoot, blog post and sometime I had to say no when I get invites to attend events bc I had to work to my other job.
What’s your advice to new bloggers?
- First, if you’re doing this because of the money, just don’t blog please because it won’t take you nowhere. I started this blog because I love sharing my life here, this actually became my online diary. Blog because you love it not because you want the free stuff, free staycation & etc.
- Write something that you’re passionate about, share your story, share your experiences because trust me when I say, some can relate to you and that’s when you get loyal readers.
- When I started blogging I tried to blog almost everyday, so I suggest to do the same thing, update all your social media accounts as much as possible so people won’t forget about you.
- If someone commented on your blog or instagram post try to return the favor, that’s how you build your engagement.
- Be YOU! I’m always been a believer of just because everybody’s doing it doesn’t mean you have to do it as well, own your own style, for example; just because this certain bag is trending you gotta have it, not for me, only get it if you love it same thing with your own style. This will make you standout from everybody.
If y’all have any questions don’t forget to leave comments below. XO, April
Photos by: Yehleen Photography
| SHOP THE LOOK HERE |